Light FX figures

release dates, identification, wish lists, images, videos, and general information

Re: Light FX figures

Postby gel » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:08 am

@ElvisRV I don't believe you. I don't mean that I'm distrusting you, I mean I don't believe we're in agreement about semantics here. You might not consider what you're seeing a "pulse" but it has to be doing it. It works by building up current in a capacitor and then releasing it. By definition, it creates what many would call a pulse. Either that or yours has different electronics in it, but I highly doubt that. Even a weak capacitor would look more like a shimmer, but it would be pretty dim.

I could also describe it as a fast heart beat. The capacitor fills up, it releases that current as a burst of electricity, the LED lights up bright, then slowly fades when another burst of electricity hits and repeats the cycle. There would be no reason to use a capacitor if they didn't want it to pulse.

@GermanBoldItalic Yoda pulses too but it's faster than the others. Green is a very easy LED color to display, so they may have used different capacitors in the figures (a weaker one in Yoda, which fills up fast and discharges more often). My Anakin is also the slowest pulse, which is an odd choice since Obi-Wan has the same color saber. Blue is such a dark LED color, they probably use a larger capacitor to build up enough charge before it pulses. I don't know why Anakin and Obi are different though (my Luke is like Obi-Wan's if not slightly brighter).

Also, while we're talking about them, their saber color is wrong. The plastic is fine; it's a light blue. But with the medium blue LED inside, it makes the whole saber look very deep blue, and that's not anyone's saber color. Wish they had either used white or light blue for Anakin and Obi-Wan (and Luke). It's a nice looking blue, it's just wrong if we're looking at the source material.

rank_0
gel
Main Console: Wii U

Postby Kukulcan » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:09 am

@gel

here is a video of Obi-Wan and it doesn't seem to pulse:

rank_0
Kukulcan

Postby craigbarnes88 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:32 pm

Just found out on the 19th I will be totally free (uk release date is the 18th)
So looking forward to doing my first scavenger hunt in a few years to pick up all the figures!
Still no word on Kanan for UK?

rank_100
craigbarnes88
Main Console: Xbox One

Postby gel » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:41 pm

@Kukulcan That does look pretty solid. I think normally video can be pretty deceiving (as the youtuber points out), but it does look pretty solid. Perhaps different bases can affect the figures. Also, I think his figure might be dim, but the video won't show us that. (The dimmer it is, the less pulsing it should have unless the capacitor is also strange.) I'll see if I can get another Anakin at Best Buy because that's my darkest one that pulses the most.

I've been testing on a 2.0 base all this time, but when I get a 3.0 base maybe it'll be slightly different.

rank_0
gel

Postby ElvisRV » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:42 am

My base is from 1.0 and they don't pulse (by pulse I mean transition from fully lit to off) but believe what you will.
I'm a big fan of Pixar and Disney Movies, and the Skylanders games. The Cars franchise and Ratatouille are my favorite Pixar movies. Paperman is my favorite thing to ever come out of Disney!
Credit goes to toops for my avatar!

rank_500
ElvisRV
Main Console: Xbox 360

Postby gel » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:17 am

Oh, they definitely don't go from fully lit to off. That's impossible with a capacitor in it. There is a large amount of residual charge in a capacitor. It takes about 10 full seconds before the capacitor runs out of charge (and therefore light from the LED).

So, unless semantics are still playing a role, or your eyes really can't see it pulsing, there's only one other option: yours might be missing a capacitor, which wouldn't hurt it at all. It would just be sort of medium bright. (But I think this is the issue they were trying to solve: making them brighter.)

I'm not sure how you can gauge it without comparison to another figure, but maybe yours is just medium bright and is missing a capacitor.

rank_0
gel

Postby crazybirdman » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:48 pm

my local TRU had these out on the shelf yesterday.

rank_250
crazybirdman

Postby ElvisRV » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:42 pm

They don't pulse like we've seen in videos is all I'm saying. My figures or my base must be different somehow I can't explain it. I know nothing about capacitors but I do know they aren't pulsing (and I can see it).
I'm a big fan of Pixar and Disney Movies, and the Skylanders games. The Cars franchise and Ratatouille are my favorite Pixar movies. Paperman is my favorite thing to ever come out of Disney!
Credit goes to toops for my avatar!

rank_500
ElvisRV
Main Console: Xbox 360

Postby ImGonnaWreckIt » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:22 pm

The only time I notice any pulsing is when you are switching games. For example: playing in a playset then quitting and going into hall of heros. I feel like the pulsing is to mimic what the portal is doing. Just my 2 cents.
Twitter - gvasenjr

rank_250
ImGonnaWreckIt
Main Console: PS4

PreviousNext

Return to Disney Infinity hardware and software, merchandise and toys