New to Infinity - I know, my timing stinks! Advice please..

including hints, tips and glitches. any hardware, software or gameplay related questions go in this forum
please try and make it clear in the topic title what the content is
a title such as "toy box" will not help anyone when searching for information

New to Infinity - I know, my timing stinks! Advice please..

Postby hoosiermom » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:43 pm

So my kids are crazy for everything Marvel and Star Wars. I know Disney Infinity is shutting down, but I'm wondering if we should pick up the game for our PS4 and some of the figures while things are discounted. I think they'd enjoy the building part of the Toy Box, and they'd love to play some of their favorite characters, esp. if they could battle against each other.

The whole shutdown process is really confusing to me... actually, the game itself is confusing since we've never played it before. Is it worth buying a starter set and some figures at this point? What else would I want? Playsets? Power discs? Thank you!

P.S. - 1 more question, if I buy a 3.0 starter set, do 2.0 playsets work with it? Or just the figures that come in them>

rank_0
hoosiermom
Main Console: PS4

Re: New to Infinity - I know, my timing stinks! Advice plea

Postby Sheriff Woody » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:05 pm

all offline functionality will continue to work after the servers shut down. it is a good time to buy at a discount.

all figures from 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 will work in the toy box. play sets only work on the generation they were released for ... 2.0 play sets need the 2.0 software, 3.0 need 3.0 software. also be aware that 1.0 software wasn't released for the PS4 so none of the 1.0 play sets are playable on the PS4.

Sheriff
Sheriff Woody
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Elmo STM » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:57 am

There are also toybox game discs (speedway, a kart racer and takeover, not sure how to explain as haven't really played it lol).

These can be played by any figure from 1.0 to 3.0

rank_lotso_ftb_mr
Elmo STM
Main Console: Xbox One
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby BionicKoalaBoy » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:44 am

I'm in the process of 'starting again', as i'm going from 360 to xbox one. The online loss is really sad but if you don't really try to get into it, and just download some toy boxes, 'you can't miss what you never had'. I agree with ElmoSTM about the 'expansion games', pick up the speedway crystal piece, it's a really fun MarioKart clone that you don't have to build in ( works in 3.0 ).

And your timing... I came to the party about 8 months ago, and I feel like I missed out on a lot. But you are in the perfect position to save a bomb. Earlier adopters were paying £15 a figure, so you're talking a couple of grand to collect all the figures and sets. Now you can pick them up from a pound each second hand. People are selling because they think the game's community will wither, and are jumping ship. This is the perfect time to take advantage of that and enjoy a really great game with fantastic toys.

rank_250
BionicKoalaBoy
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby hoosiermom » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:16 pm

Thank you for all the advice! I found the Star Wars 3.0 starter set for $20 and figures for $5, so I think we're going to jump in. The racing game sounds fun too, I'll definitely pick that up. :)

rank_0
hoosiermom

Postby Elmo STM » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:39 pm

The speedway is great but it's not as good as Mario kart so I find it not as replayable as the likes of MK.

You can also build race tracks in the toybox so that's another thing to consider.

rank_lotso_ftb_mr
Elmo STM
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby BionicKoalaBoy » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:00 am

ElmoSTM

However brilliant I think Infinity is, i don't think it equals ANYTHING that it tries to replicate. It's a 'jack of all trades' but master of none. It's versatility is it's USP, and it will never compete with a game built from the ground up.

rank_250
BionicKoalaBoy
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Return to Disney Infinity questions, hints and help