Frozen

Re: Frozen

Postby ntnon » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:40 pm

Hmm..

Spoiler: show
I thought Hans' plan - in order - was: to marry Elsa and become King or to marry Anna, remove Elsa and become King. At best, he wanted to kill Elsa and make sure Anna became Queen so he'd be Prince Consort/King and de facto ruler. It was only because Anna turned up at death's door that her death became part of the plan.

Historically, the husband of a legitimate Queen - see Stephen and Mathilda - was effectively in charge... but his situation was precarious.

The possible-husband of the now-dead legitimate Queen would be effectively in charge but not even slightly secure. He'd be out on his ear within months. Either from an outside invasion taking advantage of his insecurity, or from a proper challenge by a distant cousin who would have a greater claim to the throne than he did.

I wasn't suggesting Anna IS out of touch - although it's fairly likely that she would be. She's not just had a life sheltered from the regular folk, but sheltered from EVERYTHING. It's probable that she had a governess and was taught regular lessons, but it's also clear that she's had no contact with more than a small handful of people ever. I was simply noting that Hans IS looking out for the regular folk - maybe just to further manipulate and cement his standing: he needs the common folk on his side because his situation is precarious. But he may also 'just' be being nice. It happens!

My point on the siblings was exactly that: he has twelve older brothers, but he probably also has some sisters. Anyone with older siblings can probably sympathise with how difficult his childhood would have been with that many older brothers and sisters - multipled tenfold by the confines of a palace and the probable associated parental distance. He SAYS he was ignored for several years by several of his brothers. That's probably true, and also likely barely scratches the surface of how much resentment and complexes (esp. an inferiority complex) he brings to his current motives and actions.

Yes, his sisters probably don't factor into the succession scheme, so they don't count. Consider that also - here's a boy brought up knowing he barely matters, but still he's more important than the women... and now he's confronted with a pair of sisters who stand to inherit a throne and kingdom. He probably feels entitled to just waltz in and justified to take it!

I don't think it's ego in the way you imply. I think certainly he considers himself more worthy than Anna and Elsa to rule a kingdom, but I think it's motivated more from feeling inferior and knowing he has to prove himself: he says as much. (Some would also say that, historically-speaking, a 'Good' illegitimate ruler is better than a middling legitimate one..! Not that Anna or Elsa are likely to be bad rulers. Many thrones change hands through murder, and yet Hans DOES NOT seem inclined towards killing as a primary move. He wants Elsa exiled and Anna subservient (neither good, but neither murder), until circumstances turn a different way. He's on the ice to kill Elsa (because of the prophecy and) because of the weather. No other reason.

He does get off lightly, and that's due mostly to Elsa's generosity. But it's also because his potentially-treasonous actions are largely justifiable in the context of the film: he didn't try to kill Anna, he just didn't try to save her*; he didn't kill Elsa on the mountain or in the cell, just on the ice when the weather was getting worse and his advisors (Weselton et al.) concurred that her death would end the winter. So he doesn't really deserve to die - and both sisters can sympathise that family and upbringing can mess you up: Elsa got sequestered because her parents over-reacted, Anna's judgement is impaired because she never got to learn about the real world.

Weselton didn't challenge Elsa personally because he's a coward. He hides behind his minions, and tries to manipulate events without having to do his own dirty work. This is very Disney-villain (and most villains). Very Scar, very Gothel. He publicly brands her "monster" and creates/fosters the fear that is, again, the REAL VILLAIN here. He turns the people against her. He turns the court against her. He alleges she tried to deliberately kill him. He sends assassins. He's clearly the main agitator and problem - hence the harsher punishment to him and his duchy than to Hans.

Hans didn't engineer the final showdown. Hans wanted Elsa locked away so he could produce her should his legitimacy as king be challenged, and so he could personally fix the winter. Or publicly execute her after a show trial that legitimised his rule. The Kristoff scene may or may not be canonical - I think it was deliberately cut for plot-change/character reasons - but Hans was defeated when Anna appeared. That Anna, the next in line, doesn't hold Elsa (criminally) responsible for the weather undermines his whole position and would have removed any passing claim he had to the throne. Added to which, her being alive proved him a liar: remember, he said he married her and then she died, hence he can claim to be king. Obviously that wasn't true. He's already defeated without Kristoff being involved. He's lost and alone and not the hero he wanted to be.

This feeling of personal defeat mirrors Elsa's. She doesn't just 'react with horror' about her people's plight at finding finding out about the weather, she reacts with despair. She ran away to save everyone, because she's been brought up to believe that everyone will fear her - but it's her own fear that's even more important. She believes herself solely responsible.

And then when she's locked up and Hans reminds her that she can't stop the winter AND tells her that she killed her sister, she gives up entirely. She doesn't try to break out, as such, she's totally losing control - the whole castle starts sprouting ice spikes - and escapes almost be accident. She finds her way onto the ice and collapses in terror and despair. Hans and his sword are all she feels she deserves, so she numbly waits for the punishment she feels she deserves.

I'll watch for the assassins' potential fates next time - I thought they were stuck on the boat with the Duke, but that may have been wishful thinking - but I'm reasonably sure there's no death-by-Elsa involved. For Disney reasons if not for plot ones!

*Indeed, because she told him the way to save her was "true love's kiss" and he didn't love her, a kiss wouldn't have made any difference. By her stated reasoning, he could do nothing to help. Obviously he also doesn't try, which is harsh, but inaction isn't automatically negative action.

rank_500
ntnon
Main Console: PS3

Postby buckmana » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:48 pm

Hans Counterpoint
Actually, I think none of his plan was improvised, he'd done a lot of preparation in advance.

He says something to the effect of having studied Elsa for years, but as she was hiding from the world, he wasn't able to gain any useful information on how to charm her.
Or if it was even possible at all.

Whereas Anna was more of an open book, so she was easier to approach and beguile.
It's also implied he studied her as well, to learn how best to charm her, when Elsa proved unsuitable to his goals.

Also, the way he speaks when revealing his hidden agenda is not referring to the situation as it is now, but how it would have been if none of the current events had happened.
So, he had the plan all along, he just modified it when circumstances changed.

rank_1000
buckmana

Postby crazybirdman » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:47 pm

^agreed, when the bad guy is monolouging, he doesn't mention that his plans kept changing, or how he had to adapt.

As for the songs (since I have a 3 year old daughter and have heard them 500 times now) I think the opening song could have had more of the plot hidden in it. I still like it a lot, and it obviously isn't just about selling ice.
I really thought 'snowman' was going to be a duet. Why hire Idina Menzel and then not have her sing?
I liked let it go, but it sounded too similar to Defying Gravity, and it is really vague. I mean, she doesn't really mention her powers at all, and only mentions snow of cold a couple of times. If you really think about it, that song can be sung buy almost any Disney Princess, heroine or villianess and still fit almost perfectly.

rank_250
crazybirdman
Main Console: Wii U

Postby ntnon » Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:14 pm

Ms Menzel gets the MAIN song, but otherwise I agree she was under-used. Mr Groff didn't get anything, though! He could at least have had a longer Reindeers over the credits, as per the Deluxe CD.

rank_500
ntnon

Postby ntnon » Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:27 pm

Some climb-down, some clarification, some fact... saw it again yesterday:

The Weselton guards survive, and don't get hurt. The ice spikes are under his arms - it's cartoon/film contrivance that the angle-action would lift him up as it did, but he pointedly isn't hurt. Hence Hans' "don't BECOME the monster.." line. Also, they ARE put on the boat with the Duke at the end.

I was a bit wrong about remembering Hans' plan - his initial idea was marry Elsa (no death), secondary plan was marry Anna (and then 'maybe stage and accident for Elsa' - probable death), but then he makes it clear that her actions were helpful in removing that necessity: "she doomed herself" taking the burden away from him and allowing her to either be imprisoned or executed: probable death; no 'murder'. He's cruel in leaving Anna to die, but the mitigation is that she says she needs True Love and he knows that's not there. He dooms her, but couldn't do anything by HER statement.

The final showdown makes it very clear - subtext and dialogue - that Elsa believes she deserves and needs to die: "take care of my sister," she says. She is surrendering to what she thinks is the only way to free Arendelle from the winter. Hans is clearly pleased to be able to remove an obstacle, but he's also doing what everyone thinks necessary.

However, it is Hans who passes the death sentence, so his motivation IS ambiguous, I'll grant you.

rank_500
ntnon

Postby buckmana » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:47 am

I've just seen the movie again today.

Frozen
The spikes I assumed that go into the lungs actually go under the arms, lifting him clear of the ground.
Remarkable self-control of Elsa, considering she was contemplating killing him outright.
Still, given what he did next, I would have taken a different tact if I wanted him alive, but immobilized.
I would have aimed the ice spikes for the gap between the forearm bones, essentially skewering his arms to to the wall.
Painful, but not fatal.
And he would be unable to use his crossbow, seeing as his arms would be pinned.

Hans however, I remain unconvinced of his innocence.
He specifically refers to marrying one of the sisters (preferably Elsa) and killing Elsa (in that order).
And, as I knew from the prior screening, at no point during this monologue does he bring up the eternal winter as a reason for needing to kill Elsa, he just wants to do it.
I'm assuming this is brutal pragmaticism on his part, being the firstborn, Elsa's claim to the throne is dominant, so if she was removed, it falls to Anna.
And then when Anna was out of the picture, he gets it all.

Interesting, he drops a hint that he was not the only one seeking Elsa's hand in marriage, because he uses the term "we" instead of "I". Which would suggest that many others were interested in trying his tactic, although probably not with the end result he planned.
Although, Elsa has ignored all attempts like this, absolutely refused to see suitors or even come out in public.

Which is only to be expected, a young, beautiful and influential Queen, it would be highly desirable for any Royal Suitor to win her hand, if only for reasons of diplomacy.
That was rather common in those days, diplomatic ties were often cemented by intermarrying Royal Families.
Whether or not the couple were in love or actually desired to be wed in the first place was often secondary, if it was considered at all.

I'm assuming Elsa has reasons of her own to fear marriage, most likely the prospect of parenthood.
Since she doesn't know how she acquired her powers (aside from having them at birth), it is at least slightly possible that any offspring would also inherit her gift. And given how negatively she viewed her powers (at the time), I think she would actively avoid even the remote possibility of having a child with these powers.
This could also be another reason for stopping Anna's marriage, she may have been wary that any of Anna's children could also gain the power.
Her opinion might change at the end of the movie though, since she knows the secret of control and could teach it to anyone who happened to share her powers.

And about that "take care of my sister line", what Elsa was really saying was she intended to return to her self-imposed exile, she wasn't intending to die.

Also, I was amused to note one of the production crew's names during the credits, his name was Ben Frost. :lol:
Bet he was on the recieving end of more then one jibe during production. ;)

rank_1000
buckmana

Postby ntnon » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:16 am

I take issue with two things you write..

Elsa was NOT contemplating killing the Weasels* - she only ever reacted in self-defence. That her desperation had one spike (involuntarily, c.f. all the fear spikes) heading for a face, and an ice wall pushing another out of a window (1. He could have stepped to his left! 2. "Powder" and "pillows") is not the same as wanting them dead, just stopped. She was however losing control.

Second, I'm not defending Hans by claiming innocence, just mitigating his guilt. I don't believe it is made clear - nor is it critical to his villainy - that he WANTS to kill anyone. Willing, yes. Keen? No. More to the point, that line of thought gives a much better logic to the film: Hans is a typical member of the power-hungry, self-entitled, low-ranking elites. But Weselton, the embodiment of fear (metaphorically and literally The Enemy), is the true sower of discord. It is he who is the instigator in all the key moments: questioning authority (why shut the gates?), banishing the Queen (monster), and legitimising the seeking of her destruction rather than imprisonment.

I don't think the voice-casting is coincidental. He's King Candy, hiding his manipulation... just not as well!

*Writing "weasels" reminds me of the invaders of Toad Hall - brash but cowardly.

Incidentally, when Elsa builds her Ice Palace, someone else spotted that the position of the sunrise means that to see her, one would "look to the Western sky!" Amusing aside... ;)

rank_500
ntnon

Postby MightyGitis » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:21 pm

Hope all you Frozen fans had a good holiday:

rank_2000_ftb_10
MightyGitis
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
Disney ID: