Frozen

Re: Frozen

Postby Woody7850 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:33 am

In the movie, it's pronounced Anna (ah na)

But she has the American accent (if there even is one).
Reach for the Sky! -Woody

rank_250
Woody7850
Main Console: Wii U
XBL ID:
NN ID:

Postby Jessie » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:05 pm

Can't wait for it to come in my land XD

It'll come december 27nd xD

rank_0
Jessie
Main Console: Xbox 360

Postby ntnon » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:00 am

It's set in Scandinavia - Norway - and that's the pronunciation.

rank_500
ntnon
Main Console: PS3

Postby buckmana » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:25 am

There was an advance screening of the movie today and I took the opportunity to go see Frozen.

You're going to think I'm insane (or perhaps wildly eccentric), but I took my Anna and Elsa figures to see the movie with me! :D
Here's the proof:

Spoilers abound, click Unhide at your own peril.......

Frozen Thoughts
I loved the opening scene of the movie. I was expecting a scene with snow and ice playtime, but I didn't expect it would be in the main entrance hall of the palace and not outside! :lol:

The next part was very sad, with Anna (over 14 years) begging Elsa to come and play with her, only to be ignored each time.
When she gets to be 18, you can see she's just given up for real, since she doesn't even bother to finish her final attempt.
And I felt very sorry for Anna, being trapped alone in a castle with nobody to spend time with.

Do they design all classical art galleries the same way?
When I saw it, my first thought was that it was nearly identical to the one in the (fictional) Leyendecker Musuem, from the game http://laurabow.wikia.com/wiki/The_Dagger_of_Amon_Ra

I wondered about the crown Elsa is given when she ascends to Queen.
Formal crowns were often ornate and heavy. It often took all your strength to keep your head upright while wearing one and it was only done on ceremonial occasions.
This one is more like a tiara then a true crown.

And why do Elsa's outfits always involve long impractical trains?
Edna Mode would faint if she saw them! :o

I knew Elsa was powerful, but judging from the ease at which she uses her power to build an entire ice palace with no practice whatsoever, I'd classify her as an Omega level superhuman (that's the top level of power ranking for superhumans).
Not to mention, when Anna gives her the idea she can create living snow creatures, she uses that insight to create Marshmallow in seconds.

And while we're on the topic of Mr Mallow, I always wondered if there was more depth to him then a rampaging snow monster.
The trailers depict him as a brute savage monster, but apparently, this is a false impression.
When he drives Anna away, he tells her (with speech) not to come back.
And there's a cute moment at the end of the movie, when he's wondering what to do after Elsa goes home and he comes across her discarded crown.
He gets a big smile and then tries it on.
Apparently, he likes shiny! :lol:

Kristoff's friends was a nice twist, everyone (including Olaf) thinks he's insane, turns out, they're just cleverly hidden trolls.

It was interesting to see the way Elsa granted Olaf's wish, she created a small tempest that kept the temperature around him frigid, allowing him to exist in summer and live his dream.
I wonder if she could do the same for Marshmallow? Although, naturally, he'd need a bigger tempest!

Ironically, Anna had the solution to Elsa's problem all along, even if she didn't know it.
The only thing that could control Elsa's power was love.
But shutting Anna out, Elsa was removing the stabilizing influence provided by Anna, although she was unaware that she was actually doing this.
Interesting twist, that Anna and Elsa have to travel so far away to find the solution to their problem was right there the entire time. :D

And I expected an Aquamarine style plot twist about the curse.
To explain, in Aquamarine, she had to gain her freedom by getting a surface dweller (she is a mermaid) to say "I love you".
She thought this meant getting a boy to fall in love with her, but it's actually one of her new (female) friends who says it (in a moment of total desperation just as she's about to lose her freedom).

Anna was told that only an act of true love could free her from her doomed fate.
She interpreted this to mean a kiss from her true love, but in actual fact, using the last moments of her life to save Elsa from Hans as he attempts to kill her did the trick just as well, since it was "an act of true love".

I knew Hans was a jerk going into the movie, but he really took it beyond the call of reasonable behavior.
Leaving Anna to die and attempting to kill Elsa in cold blood just to take the kingdom from them.
I wasn't surprised in the slightest by his stinging rejoinder to Anna.

His original plan was to charm Elsa into marriage, but she was so unapproachable, he had to try Anna instead.
And then he was going to murder her.
And then he says Elsa is next on the list, leaving him the sole remaining heir to the kingdom.
In Elsa's place, I wouldn't have returned him to his kingdom (he is going to stand trial for his crimes), I'd have had him publicly executed in some extremely creative way involving death by ice spikes.
I'm assuming this is what they call Disney Death syndrome, it means someone dies without you seeing it happen. He could quite easily be executed when he returns to the Seven Isles.

I'm also wondering about that unfortunate assassin sent to kill Elsa.
She reacts without thinking and impales him.
Although he's still alive and well enough to try to kill her, it's obvious he cannot be saved.
Two of the spikes that hit him go right through his lungs.
He'll eventually die as his lungs slowly collapse due to the holes punched right through them.

I did wonder about the modern pop culture references they slip in.
The second one could be passed off as a joke, but the first one is inexusable.
While doing their duet, Anna and Hans do the "robot dance". Isn't that dance like over 100 years in the future?

The second one I actually accepted because it's funny.
When Elsa buys Kristoff a sleigh as a replacement for the one he lost while assisting Anna, she mentions that "it's the latest model" and it "comes with a cupholder".
Kristoff also mentions he hadn't finish making payments on it and it was still new (he abrades Anna for scuffing the finish).
I think they were doing a series of gags on new car dealerships.
Although I did raise an eyebrow at the method of him loosing it, when it crashes to the bottom of the ravine, it bursts into flame.
How does a sled burst into flame?

I am also wondering if Elsa's control over ice allows her to walk on it without slipping.
At the end of the movie, she uses her newfound control to create a winter wonderland for the citizens and because the ground is icy, Anna nearly falls down (Elsa catches her). But oddly, Elsa seems to having no problem walking on surfaces like this.
We see it a lot during the movie, that Anna or someone else has trouble walking on the icy surfaces Elsa creates, but she herself walks on them as though they're not slippery.
Considering Elsa's shoes are also made of ice, you'd think walking on ice wearing ice shoes would be a recipe for a broken ankle! :roll:

Also, I was very amused by the disclaimer that appears at the end of the movie.
I don't remember the exact wording, but it says something like Kristoff's claim that all men eat boogers (he says something like that to Anna) is a falsehood and cannot be taken as truth.

Unfortunately, the movie wasn't the 3D version, so I'll have to go back to see it again if they have a proper 3D showing.
The cinema in the picture only has one 3D screen, so if a movie is using it, another one cannot.

And yes, I will be taking my Anna and Elsa figures to the 3D screening too.
You may begin mocking my sanity now...... :roll:

rank_1000
buckmana

Postby Rapunzel70 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:57 pm

Nice thoughts on the movie.
No, I won't mock your sanity. I had thought of taking my Rapunzel plush with me... but I didn't want to seem weird in front of all those kids :D
"Best Day Ever!!!"

rank_250
Rapunzel70
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:

Postby ntnon » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:29 am

Brief thoughts on thoughts:

Spoiler: show
I find myself oddly inclined to defend Hans...! For starters, as the trolls make clear at the start, the enemy is fear - and the embodiment of that fear is the Duke. Although potentially manipulative, Hans IS helping the normal citizens deal with the cold... it's reasonably common for the elites to ignore the proles, and particularly in the case of distant (Disney) royalty - e.g. Cinderella's out-of-touch monarchy, the Beast's casual -ism that gets him cursed - but he's hands on and helpful.

Second, as the youngest of 13 - at least; isn't it twelve brothers, no sisters mentioned? - and siblings that literally ignored him, he has A LOT to prove, but is keen to prove it at whatever cost.

I don't think he necessarily WANTED to kill Anna the whole time, just took the presented opportunity to not save her. As for Elsa, there are two mitigating circumstances, one canon one maybe not: a) he genuinely thinks that removing the threat - as Weselton, etc. concur - will stop the winter. b) One of the deleted songs talks about the prophecy/curse that was in original drafts of the film.... and could still be technically in the backstory fabric of the final film. Part of it is about a frozen heart that poses a threat to the kingdom (Elsa's? She cuts herself off from her only living family... Anna's? It's literally frozen... Hans'? He's the 'cold-hearted' "villain"...) and talks briefly about the way to defeat the threat: with a sword. So he could easily have been convinced (by himself or others) that killing Elsa was a double necessity.

Moreover, Elsa believes she has doomed the kingdom AND killed her sister. At that point, and in those circumstances, she probably WANTS to die...

The Weselton assassin has icicles pierce his clothes, not his body. Or, that's what I saw happening, anyway.

Elsa's super powers surely include control. And since can localise the density, consistency and type of ice/snow/hail, it's easy to presume that she instinctively causes the parts of the ice she is walking on to behave with more grip for her. Added to which, when she's running on the water the first time, it's liquid when she steps out and only freezes under her feet when she steps on it. You (presumably!) can't slip on non-ice that doesn't form until your foot is firmly planted on it.

The modern nods are de rigeur, and don't bother me. If one were to rationalise it, they aren't "doing the robot," they're teenagers mcuking about. As for the exploding sled, it's certainly mocking similar car crashes (e.g. The Italian Job) but it's eminently likely that Kristoff has explosive materials in his sled - he has the materials to make wolf-scaring fire, for example - and those plus the mentioned (for a joke) lacquer easily add up to fireball.

rank_500
ntnon

Postby thedisneyfanatic22 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:48 am

Loved this movie!
A business is like a giant clock
All Things Disney YouTube Chanmel

Lotso
thedisneyfanatic22
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:

Postby tangled&tron » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:26 am

Even though I didn't like the movie (Olaf and the Trolls like totally ruin it for me, lol) I thought the music was utterly exceptional... the 3 main songs are just all really splendid. The Let It Go sequence was just absolutely breathtaking, but my fav was Do You Want to Build a Snowman? Especially the first verse when little Anna sings it. :cry:

rank_1000_ftb
tangled&tron

Postby buckmana » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:58 am

@ntnon

Response to thoughts
Hans makes it's perfectly clear it was his plan all along to kill Anna and Elsa.
He tells her so when she is dying.
And Anna is not as out as touch with the citizens as you think. Part of her motivation to seek Elsa out was to save the lives of everyone in the kingdom, since the endless winter she creates will eventually kill everyone due to cold exposure.
And when Elsa learns this fact (she had been unaware it was happening until she was told so), she reacts with horror.

Yes, it is 12 brothers, he does not mention sisters at all.
That is a bit odd, just on statistics alone, half of them should have been female.
Although, in some cultures, females were not eligible for the crown unless all the male heirs were unable to take the throne.
So, hypothetically, if he did have sisters and this was true, they would have been below him in the line of succession, even if they were older then him.

And it's all about ego with Hans.
He wants to be King to feel important.
His sole redeeming feature is that he could quite possibly be a good king, but murdering the two legimate heirs to get there?
The movie is quite clear on that fact, crimes against either Elsa or Anna are treason (as they are the leaders of the country) and punishable by death.
He got off lucky that Elsa decided to be merciful.

All of these reasons are why I have absolutely no sympathy for Hans.
If you handed me the axe, I'd be his Executioner.

Even the Duke of Weselton didn't have in him to actively challenge Elsa.
And though his goals are also nefarious, he still follows the rules of the kingdom, even not being a citizen of it.

I don't think Elsa really wanted to die, she was just in so much shock she wasn't thinking of anything beyond her despair.
And Hans had specifically engineered the situation to cause this event, so he had a chance to kill her.
Mind you, after he lost his sword, he was out of luck, even with Elsa out of commission.
There's a scene that was cut from the movie.
Kristoff happens to be very close nearby and when he sees Hans, well, his response is rather violent (he punches him out and possibly beats him savagely).
Which would be a natural reaction, considering what he saw happen.

And yes, some of the icicles hit the clothing of the assassin's sleeves.
But two of them aim right for his chest!
And with the force required to lift him off the ground, there is no doubt that the wounds he recieved are fatal.
Also, as far as I know, we don't really see the assassins again during the movie, so I'm uncertain if he survived or not.
Odds are high they were also charged with treason and either imprisoned or on death row.

rank_1000
buckmana

PreviousNext

Return to Disney movies and tv