XBox One - One handed games

walkthroughs, hints, tips and glitches that are not Disney Infinity related

Postby pjhaan » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:29 am

I have a friend that recently lost their dominant hand. The doctor told them to play video games to help train their off hand to now be dominant. They got an XBox One. I saw that someone makes custom controllers for them but they are almost as much as the console itself.

Does anyone know of any games that are playable with one hand? Do any games let you customize the controls to be playable with one hand?

rank_1000_ftb
pjhaan
Main Console: Wii U
XBL ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Elmo STM » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:59 pm

Honestly I don't think there is any one handed games tbh.

The wii or wii u may be a better option as they could use the wii mote in that hand (some games only use the wii mote).

Maybe look into fighting games as they could sit the controller down and use the (non dominant hand) to move and press the buttons?

As for remapping I think the new elite controller does that and maybe scuff (but they're more expensive)

rank_lotso_ftb_mr
Elmo STM
Main Console: Xbox One
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Re: XBox One - One handed games

Postby Lucidinferno » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:10 pm

We have an Xbox one, and my father-in-law, who lost a hand years ago, is unable to play games using a controller. We're a gaming family, and we're constantly looking into games he can play, and the only ones on the Xbox are some of the kinect games. I say some, because the kinect now reads finger movements on games such as rock climbing in kinect sports rivals. The kinect can't read the grasping motion his prosthetic limb makes.

I agree with Elmo about the Wii, but I more strongly recommend looking into the new Apple TV. Out of the games I own, Bruce Lee, Crossy Road, Alto's Adventure, Edge EX, Mr. Jump, Rayman Adventures, Mr. Crab, Jetpack Joyride, Albert, Doodle Jump, Badlands, and Peg Ballet only require one hand, with more games surely out there.

I just did some digging around the internet, and found this option for a modded, one-handed Xbox one controller from Ben Heck.

If you've never heard of him, he's a legendary console modder (his mods have been featured in Popular Science, Wired, and Engadget), and the host of a popular internet show. It's pricey... twice as much as an Apple TV... but Christmas is coming...

Another website to check out is The Controller Project, run by an editor for Make Magazine, and featured on BBC news and various other news outlets. It appears you order the parts you need and mod the controller yourself.

Good luck to your friend. My father-in-law was an avid guitarist before the loss of his hand, and he continued to be after. He had a special prosthetic created that is able to hold a guitar pick, and he sounds just as good as any of the guys he plays with. In everything else in life, the guy's unstoppable; he splits his own wood, re-roofed his house not to long ago, and goes camping alone quite often. There's nothing your friend can't do as well as, and often times better, than someone with all their limbs.

rank_100
Lucidinferno
XBL ID:

Postby pjhaan » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:22 pm

^ Ben Heck was the creator of the custom controllers I was referring too. At almost $300, I can't afford it :(

I have no doubt my friend will not be hindered by the loss of his hand. He is very determined and doesn't give up easily!

rank_1000_ftb
pjhaan
XBL ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby PerryTheMonkey » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:32 am

I would also recommend a Wii. You can get one for cheat used at stores like Game Stop. With Wii Sports (launch game but probably would have to buy separate from a used Wii), boxing is the only game that requires the nunchuk, which would require that second hand.

rank_50
PerryTheMonkey

Postby TheEAB » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:06 am

I'd suggest buying a Wii with Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Sports Resort and more games that only use the wiimote, like many people said before me. Beware! Super Smash Bros Brawl and New Super Mario Bros Wii can both be played with the Wiimote only, but you must play using the remote horizontally, so it wouldn't work for your friend.

On Xbox One, the TellTale interactive adventures like Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us (who will be free for gold members from April 1-15) can easily be played with a single hand. I play 'em all the time while eating chips!

rank_100
TheEAB
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Return to other video games and consoles